A perfect recipe for sneaky healthy food for kids, pre/post workout snack or a midday pick-me-up. These chocolatey turmeric energy bites are quick and easy and laugh in the face of added sugar and fat (because there are none!). I used almond butter and soaked dates to hold it all together and the carob powder and carob chips to give it that chocolate kick where the chia seeds and hemp hearts give it that extra crunch! You could take this a step further and add your favourite protein powder but ensure you add a bit more water, adding 1 tablespoon at a time until it is no longer crumbly. If dates aren’t your favourite fruit and you’re questioning this recipe…well you’re wrong! Dates are your new best friend because you wont taste them at ALL in my recipes, I pinky swear it.
Make sure when you’re forming these into shape, that you pass it back and forth firmly between your hands until its stuck together perfectly. Don’t worry, you’ll see what I mean and it will be all right. I have faith in you my friend.
• 1 cup almond butter
• 1 cup medjool dates
• 1 cup old fashioned oats, divided
• 2 tablespoons turmeric powder (adjust to your liking)
• 2 large tablespoons carob powder (or cocoa/cacao)
• 2 tablespoons chia seeds
• 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
• 1/4-1/2 cup carob chips (or chocolate chips)
• 1+ tablespoons water from soaked dates
1. Place pitted dates in a bowl and cover with boiling hot water. Soak for 5-10 minutes until very soft.
2. Add dates, almond butter, 1/2 cup oats, carob powder, chia seeds and hemp hearts to a blender or food processor. Pulse until broken down and completely blended. *If the batter is crumbly and not soft enough, add the warm date water by the tablespoon, mixing in between each one until a moist consistency. Not too wet but not dry either.
3. Pour into a large bowl and add the rest of the oats and carob/chocolate chips. Fold in.
4. Grab a golf ball sized amount of batter and pass between your hands, pressing firmly together.
5. Place all the balls in a container and store in the fridge for up to 1 week (if they last that long).
*Make approx. 12-16 balls