I am so inspired by the female culinary heroes I have in my life. These women are my grandmothers and my own mother (and countless other women I have the pleasure to call my friends). What amazes me the most is their tenacity to continue making everything from scratch because it “tastes better”.
They are not influenced by the health movement because they never really fell victim to it in the first place. Using a microwave or having everything available to them in cans or in the freezer section is not what they are drawn to when deciding what to make for a meal. I know this because they each own a 25 foot deep-freeze full of their own baking, beef and chicken bones for soups, gutted pumpkin for pies, boiled and rolled cabbage ready for cabbage rolls, frozen dough for various recipes, fruit and vegetables picked from their own gardens and so on and so on.
My grandmother recently gave me her most prized cookbooks, filled with her handwritten scrawls, fingerprints, butter stains and spatters of flour throughout. It is with one of these cookbooks that fueled this recipe. Feel free to adjust to yours and your family’s liking, as I have done the same.
Hold close those that means the world to you as this life is far too short but yet so very beautiful.
• 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
• 1/2 cup coconut milk
• 3/4 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (we prefer lactose free)
• 1 Tablespoon chia seeds
• 1/2 teaspoon bee pollen
• 1 teaspoon stevia (or sweetener of your choice)
• 1/4 cup slivered almonds
• 1/4 cup coconut chips
• 1/4 cup chocolate chips
• 1/2 banana, sliced
1. Add oats, chia, stevia and bee pollen to a jar. Stir to combine.
2. Add to the jar, coconut milk and greek yogurt. Stir to combine.
3. Cover with a lid or saran wrap and place in the fridge overnight.
4. In the morning turn your oven on to broil and place the slivered almonds and coconut to a small metal pan. Place in the oven and cook 5-7 minutes watching very carefully so they don’t burn.
5. Add the banana, almonds, chocolate and coconut chips to the oats. Pour a bit of coconut milk over everything and enjoy!