When dairy gets you down, turn to cashews to brighten your day!
Looking for a healthy creamy tomato pasta sauce? Look no further! This vegan cashew cream tomato sauce is a plant-based (dairy-free) and nutritious option to a traditional vodka sauce or tomato sauce made with heavy cream.
We’re also skipping the vodka in this one ;).
Despite omitting those ingredients, this recipe is still soo tasty and creamy. I promise you won’t be able to tell it’s made without cream!
Not only is this recipe delicious and easy, but all the ingredients in this dish are packed with nutrition benefits, too. I’m all about elevating the nutrition factor of your favourite foods, without ever compromising on taste.
• 1 cup raw unsalted cashews
• 1/4 cup water
• 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (its what makes it taste cheesy, if you don’t have it then don’t worry)
• 1 clove garlic
• 1 cup tomato/pasta sauce (more or less to your liking)
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 1/2 tsp dried basil
• s+p to taste
• sprinkle of red pepper flakes if you like a little heat
1. Cook pasta according to directions on the package. Drain and add pasta back to the pot. 2. Combine cashews, water, yeast, garlic and s+p to a food processor and blend until a paste is formed. If you want this to be creamier, I suggest soaking the cashews over night. 3. Add cashew paste to cooked pasta, add the tomato sauce and stir to combine. 4. Add spices and adjust with s+p.
5. Cook on medium/low until warmed through.
6. Serves 2 large portions.