January is the time for resolutions; the time for a fresh start. Take a moment this month to reflect on the year past and set intentions and goals for the New Year. Continue passionately on the path towards your dreams, whether they are new or ones you have been chasing. Become the best version of yourself in 2017.
For many, the number one resolution this year is to “get healthy”. If this is you, we can help facilitate the road to success by introducing you to a green soup aimed at detoxifying your liver. Periodically doing a liver cleanse can help purge the liver from pesticides, the effects of medications and heavy metals.
The liver is the one of the main sites in the body that eliminates toxins. It works tirelessly to detox your blood – removing pesticides, food and household chemicals and heavy metals. The liver, when functioning properly, also regulates blood composition, which balances protein, fat, and sugar. This is important as it allows the body to digest food properly (especially fat) and absorb important vitamins and minerals.
This soup incorporates a variety of potassium rich vegetables and legumes such as beet greens, spinach, kale, asparagus, and white beans. These cruciferous vegetables, as well as avocado (which is reserved as garnish), are also high in glutathione, which is the body’s most potent detoxifying agent. The pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, and hemp seeds are high in selenium and are required co-factors for detoxification.
The addition of turmeric can assist the enzymes that are responsible for flushing out known dietary carcinogens. The result is enhanced protection against liver damage, and even regeneration of affected liver cells. The carrots provide Vitamin A, which helps the body to flush out toxins as well as converting fat in the liver, making this one powerhouse detox soup!
Consume this soup throughout the day, or even over a couple of days (it keeps well in the fridge).
1 bunch asparagus (approx. 15 spears)
2 cups spinach
4 stalks of kale, stems removed
2 cups beet leaves
2 celery sticks, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup white cannellini beans
½ lemon juiced
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 cups filtered water
1 tablespoon flax seeds
Himalayan sea salt to taste
Additional garnish: avocado, hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, and toasted pumpkin seeds
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.Add asparagus, carrot, celery, onion, and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 2 cups of filtered water, cannellini beans, and seasonings to the pot. Bring to a gentle boil. (Approximately 10 minutes or until vegetables are soft.)
- Stir in the kale, spinach, and beet greens. Remove from heat.
- Transfer to blender in small batches, removing each batch to a large bowl. When finished, transfer the soup back into its original pot.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with sliced avocado, hemp seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, and toasted pumpkin seeds.